Tuesday, September 18, 2007

THE FOLK TREE : Out of Context






































I missed the opening of this show last month so I took a special trip last Sunday to check out the work of these 10 assemblage artists.

Eversince I saw the work of Joseph Cornell (Park Carrousel, in Memoriam) in MOMA, I was always thrilled by the three-dimensional artistic composition made from putting together found or manufactured objects.

The ten artists featured in the show are : Joseph Banuelos, Shari Beaubien, Vahe Bereberian, Cynthia Cook, Val Echavarria, Sandra Gallegos, Janice Lowry, Susan Meirs, Maria Rendon, and Dan Van Clapp.

Almost sold out are the works of Janice Lowry, who priced her pieces less than $300. Vahe Berberian continued to pay homage to Cornell . Joseph Banuelas work communicates directly to the viewer. The most interesting items in the show are Van Clapp's intricate free-standing pieces.

Interesting but nothing new and exciting.
The Folk Tree
217 S. Fair Oaks Ave., Pasadena 91105
www.folktree.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like to see something like this. I am so glad to find you here.